Second grade uses a literature–based reading program with structured phonics included. A weekly spelling list is composed of basic sight words which are correlated with other areas of the curriculum.
Math concepts include:
- addition and subtraction facts 1-18
- understanding time (hour, half hour, 5 minute)
- understanding money (all coins & counting out groups of coins)
- regrouping in addition and subtraction
- working with numbers through 999
Language expectations include writing in complete sentences, using correct capitalization and punctuation, and expressing ideas clearly, orally and written. Science and Social Studies concepts are incorporated in units taught throughout the year.